Lemanaghan Church Model – Part Two – Beginning the Model

The first step in building the model was to make a plane on which I could paste the floor plan of the church.

I scaled the plane to a length of 19.4 metres by 7.5 metres, the size of Lemanaghan Church as it stands today (Quinlan, Moss 24). I then traced around the walls with a line (notice the white lines around the top wall. I had to make an ‘imaginary’ gable wall at the right of the top and bottom walls, since the extension right of these walls was added in the fifteenth century, and my model is a representation of the structure as it was in the twelfth century.

trace

 

The next step was to extrude my lines of the floor plan with the extrude modifier. I gave my newly formed walls a height of 4.5 metres, which is the height they stand today.

 

wall

 

For the window recess I took the following steps:

I turned my primitive object into an editable poly.

I cut a rectangle around where the window recess would be positioned.

I grabbed this polygon and beveled it inwards.

(Not as easy as it sounds,  lots of trial-and-error before I figured out how to achieve this).

recess

Next was the Romanesque doorway.

 

doorway

Since there is not much left of the Romanesque doorway extant today at Lemanaghan, it was up to me, myself and I to try and figure out what would be the most easy, but still aesthetically pleasing, design to choose. The columns were no big deal – just a cylinder, with a narrow box wedged between each one to seperate them. The capitals over the columns were a bit of a nightmare. I tried for so long to try get the conched, shell-like design – and think I finally did achieve it.

The capitals:

Lemanaghan Church 004s

I started with a chamfer box.

I added a taper modifier so that it tapered in at the bottom.

I added a wave modifier to give it that nice wavy effect you see on the top of the left capital in the above image.

I tessellated each face and grabbed each polygon (I’ve turned the object into an editable poly at this juncture) and extruded each one a little.

I then added the TURBOSMOOTH modifier, which smoothed the extruded polygons and gave a nice natural conch shape, which is what I was going for.

I added a squeeze or a push modifier to just squash the capital a little and give it that bulging shape. With each modifier I just played around with the options and values until I got the desired effect.

For the arch, or archivolts as the experts call them, I had to add “twelfth century Romanesque Irish doorways” to my history of Google searches. I kept getting back images along the lines of this:

PA050304ax

so I modelled the Lemanaghan Church archway on the similar pattern motifs that could be seen on all the Romanesque doorways of the twelfth century period.

For the doorway archivolts I made:

A tube.

  • Sliced it in half.
  • Turned it into an editable poly.
  • Tessellated it (I think).
  • Grabbed each polygon one by one and beveled each one at a time.

 

For the window:

  • I made a box and a tube.
  • Turned them both into editable polygons.
  • Tessellated the box.
  • Went to Polygon Modelling > Generate Topology
  • Changed inner lines of box from a square to a lattice shape.
  • I chose all EDGES and then chose the CREATE SHAPE FROM SELECTION option.
  • I then had a LATTICE mesh object which I placed over the glass window.
  • Voila!

TO MAKE A HOLE IN THE WINDOW RECESS

  • Got my glass window.
  • Positioned it in its rightful place in the wall. Widened it for a moment.
  • Chose compound object.
  • Then I chose BOOLEAN > SELECT OPERAND B.
  • Had my glass window selected.
  • I chose SUBTRACTION [B-A]
  • I clicked on the wall.
  • The window shape disappears and leaves a hole through the object.
  • I then moved one of my copies of the glass window with the lattice design into the hole slot.

The roof:

At this early stage. Next will come the thatch:

roof

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>