Reconstruction of the 1865 Dublin International Exhibition: No More Girders! But plenty more where they came from.

Now that the girders and dome of the building frame are completed, it was time to create the other details of the building, including the floor, the upper hallway and the roofing for the hallway.

To create the hallways on the top floor, I had to return to my measurements from the start of the project, as the hallway was the same width and thickness throughout the structure. I also had to determine where would be a suitable height on the model to put the hallway, as the height had not been specified in any of the sources that we had found.

Once I had determined these measurements, I decided that the easiest way to build the floor was to build a box for each of the straight sides. The side that has the dome attached has a single box on the hallway each side of the dome. To create the curved floor for the dome, I created two cylinders; one was the same diameter as the dome and had the same height settings as the rest of the floor. The other cylinder had the width of the floor accounted for and the diameter set accordingly, and was created with a larger height so that it could be placed in the larger cylinder and be wider on the top and the bottom, making the use of the Boolean tool much easier. I positioned both cylinders at the same point in the scene so that the centre point in both was exactly the same, and the floor width would be even all the way around the dome. I then used the Boolean tool to remove the smaller cylinder from the larger, creating a donut shape. I then created a box which was longer and thicker than the floor donut and made it wide enough to cover one half of the donut. I used the boolean tool again to cut off one half of the donut, creating a semi-circular shape which would then become the floor for the hallway. I matched this shape with the floor height of the rest of the hallway structure and positioned it within the dome. Once all of the boxes were in place to create the floor, I used the attach tool to attach all of them together, making it easier to use the material editor later to create the textures for the flooring.

To create the roofing for the hallway, it was a matter of creating copies of all of the boxes that I created for the hallway floor, so that the sizes were exactly the right size to cover the hallway. I then created doubles of each of the boxes and paired them, before rotating each box 45 degrees on the X-Y axis and pairing them to create a roof shape, which I then placed on the model at the same X-Y coordinates as the hallway, but higher on the Z axis to create the roof shape.

To follow updates, you can do so here on my blog or here on Fionn’s blog, as she is building the interior of the model.

Please tell me what you think!