We divided the church into three overarching layers being lighting, roof and walls. Within this we had subdivisions for each object and the within this we placed the components which made each object. I found this organisation extremely helpful as it allowed me to easily isolated aspects of the church to work on. It also aloud me to freeze aspects so I did not have to worry about accidentally affecting them when working on other parts.
For creating the front and back sections of the roof wall I used the same methods for constructing the other walls. I used a large box aligned to the roof and the boolean subtract method in order to cut the staves in a slanted manner so they fitted the triangular shape of the roof. I also decided to extend the side earth-fast pillars slightly as it seemed disjointed from the roof having them smaller.
For the roof staves I remembered to chamfer the them before creating the array so it saved time compared to the bottom walls. I also chamfered and rounded other geometry around the church like the roof posts, steps and refined the ornament slightly. This gave a better look to the overall model as I felt the corners were too sharp for what was meant to be natural wood.