We started work on the church and used the rough estimates from the work by Ó’Carragáin and the plans of the Haltden stave church for our measurements and floor plan. This took some adjustment however as the church looked rather unrealistic and out of proportion especially since the churches were described as being twice as high as they were long by Ó’Carragáin. Visualising this statement made the church look rather impractical. Sonia made the mock up in basic geometry for the church in 3dsMax.
We also decided to work on the ornament for the church. We chose to add the ornament as it is shown in the image of the high cross. The roof design was taken from Kilmalkedar stone church which is said to be of the same design as Irish dairteach. The original plan was to create a spline outline of the geometry and extend it into the shape and mirror the object to create symmetry on both ends. For tracing I found the original image of the stone high cross hard to copy from so I found an image of a shoe horse online and used photo shop to make it look more like the ornament.
When creating the geometry of the ornament we encountered the problem that the front face of the structure was a single polygon where detail could not be added. To solve this we selected opposing edges and clicked the connect option to create a line when this was finished we then connected those lines to each other creating the polygons. This was a very time consuming process as each vertical line had to be made individually. I found this method by experimenting myself so better methods probably exist but I had trouble finding them. Sonia then added the ball features to the geometry and I chamfered the edges more to give it a more rounded look.