MAY 3rd 2017
Today I began my morning by working on the model below. I am not entirely happy with the textures on the cottage so I will start by trying to assign a darker thatch onto the roof. Secondly, I have to go into UVW mapping and scale down the pebble-dash texture by using the gizmo, because the texture is out of proportion to the rest of the cottage. Unfortunately, I also have to redo the geometry on all the windows and doors and find appropriate images to use in relation to
texture. Hopefully after doing it once already, I will be a bit faster this time around. I am also saving my working regularly in four different locations to avoid my previous mistake. I also made a huge mistake in scaling the house instead of zooming in and out. I had to resize the cottage using the snap-toggle and measuring tape to make sure the cottage was 15 x 5 x 2.87 meters in size. I only realised this after trying to make the first door and window.
I tried to alter the existing thatch to make it more voluminous and to try and make the thatch darker without deleting it. I feel it is important to show my failures as well as my victories in 3ds Max. The picture below shows the hilarity of my efforts. I realise now that the hair and fur modifier does not enhance a thatched roof in any way, shape or form. Practice makes perfect as the saying goes! The best way to learn, is by making mistakes whilst practicing.
I decided to swap the thatch in the screenshot to the left to a picture of the real thing, and it saved me a lot of time and effort. I finished the doors and windows and applied the bitmap images of the real door/windows to the selected polygons. I also had a fail
trying to assign the bitmap images to the doors and windows which
you can see in the screenshot on the right hand side. The model was starting to look nice and I just had to add a material to the window sills to complete it. The thatch and pebble-dash looked pretty close to the original cottage. I just had to adjust the bitmap images on the doors and unfreeze the chimney stack and pot. By the end of
the night I had put the finishing touches to the window sills and fixed minor errors that were visible to the eye. I finished up by saving four copies of it. The screenshot below shows the 3-D model of Thoor Ballylee which is in the final stages of completion.