3-D PROJECT DIARY: BLOG TEN

MAY 5th & 6th 2017

I think over the course of the last few days, the biggest problems I have faced has been the application of materials.  The geometry has also been challenging but I have always managed to find a way around a problem.  For example, closing a gap, you can choose polygon and select the bridge tab or use the cap holes modifier.  But the application of materials can leave one heartbroken.  I watched some tutorials and I tried applying IDs through the multi-sub objects tab, but this would not work with bitmaps, or if it does, I could not find a way around it.   So I went onto a forum and discovered that if you select polygons on the object you want to apply the bitmap image to, then you go to the modifier list and UVW map it.  Next step is  to  go to the utilities button and press the collapse selected tab and this will bake the material onto the object for you.  This worked very well for me and now I am making a lot of  progress.

Today, I have started building the extension at the back of the main cottage at Thoor Ballylee.  As you can see from the screenshot below, I have built the frame of the cottage 2 1.6 x 8 x 2.39  meters.  I

3-D Model of Thoor Ballylee Extension Cottage by Justin Martin.

coloured the 2/3  of one side of the cottage red to outline where I have to join the main cottage on to it, as seen in the screenshot to the right hand side.  This will make life easier when I am bringing the two cottages together.  I then began making the windows out in the same system as the main cottage.  I chose edges, and then highlighted the top edge and bottom edge and pressed connect.  I then  had  to  input  the  amount  of  vertical  connections   I   wanted; this   was    dependent    on    the     amount    of    windows  and  border

3-D Model of Thoor Ballylee Extension Cottage by Justin Martin.

surroundings I had planned to put in. This can be seen on the screenshot to the left.  When I had all the windows and doors  completed.  I extruded window sills outward and extruded the door frames inward as seen in the screenshot below.  I think  the  result  is  pretty  good, and I  am  starting to get faster the more time that I spend on building the

3-D Model of Thoor Ballylee Extension Cottage by Justin Martin.

models.  The model below has eleven windows and two doors, so it still took quite a bit of time to finish this particular part.  I started making the roof and chimney   stack/pot   next.    I   was  lucky   because   everything   went well and it was error free.  Now  with  the  geometry  finished   I

3-D Model of Thoor Ballylee Extension Cottage by Justin Martin.

then started assigning the stonework to the extension.  I followed the same procedure as before.  I chose the original photograph of the stonework from Thoor Ballylee and applied it on to the selected polygons.  Then I went into the modifiers and UVW mapped it and using the gizmo, I scaled the size of the brickwork down to a suitable size.  Below is the screenshot that shows the finished brickwork  and roof.  The  next  task  I  have  to  do  is  apply  the  slate  to the roof and

3-D Model of Thoor Ballylee Extension Cottage by Justin Martin.

bitmap images to the doors and windows, and unfreeze the chimney stack and pot.  Tomorrow I will amalgamate the two cottages together and fix any misalignment that may be visible.  I will also arrange all my images and textures into my project folder in relation to submitting our project on Monday 12th.