After the brainteaser with the pillars and arches, Seamus and I focused on the walls that surround the cloister. So, having as a point of reference the plan of the whole Abbey, importing as a bitmap like the previous time, we created planes according to the plan and the measurements that we had selected. We created two planes from the Command Panel, one for the grass in the middle of the cloister and another one for the path around the cloister. After that, we created two boxes for the walls of the cloister. The first one has the space of the whole cloister and the second one was smaller and used to configure the thickness of the walls. We did that used the ProBoolean from the Command Panel→Compound Objects→ProBoolean, selecting the bigger box first and subtraction, and smaller after that. The second box disappeared and we keep the frame of the wall; we followed the same procedure for the smaller wall base in which the pillars are placed, as you can see in the following picture:
This is the whole square of the cloister, consisting of the two planes and the two frames pf walls:
Subsequently, we moved on the creation of the wall openings, following the plan, photographs and our measurements. To do that, we created boxes from the Command Panel→Standard Objects, giving the appropriate measurements, and with Proboolean and the procedure that I describe above, the openings placed on the main cloister wall. Only one of the openings presented differences from the others, so it was needed to create a hemisphere on the top. To do that we attached a cylinder on the top of the box, see bellow:
Moreover, we worked on the creation of the support of the roof, the beams, creating boxes depended on the measurements that we had for the other parts of the cloister. The roof is not saved, so we decide to follow examples from other irish medieval cloisters and the outline from the panel that there is inside the Abbey, where the cloister is placed.
This is the result:
We grouped the beams of each side to move and put them in the correct position easier. In the end, we tried to apply texture for the grass part and for the path of the cloister:
We rendered to see exactly what we have done until then. We need to work more with the texture, as you can see. So, we plan to improve the texture that we used and edit the photographs that we have and see if they are appropriate for the texture of the other parts.