This would be the last post regarding the 3d reconstruction project of Fore Abbey Cloister. It will be presented below the last tries of Seamus and me to apply texture in the whole cloister, put lights in the scene and cameras for a hypothetical video in which will be showed the cloister to the audience.
The application of texture to the entire cloister this time and not only to the smaller parts that complement it proved tricky to us. Our first attempts have not proved to be particularly successful as we could not successfully apply the texture to the exterior walls of the cloister. We applied the texture as Bitmap and after that applied the UVW map modifier from the Modifier List like last times. But, unfortunately, that did not work. The two opposite outside and inside walls had a successful result, rotated, moving and scaled the texture through the Gizmo, but the other two walls seemed to distorted the texture. The same happened with the top of all the four walls. So, we tried to apply the texture to only one side of the wall and use the UVW map modifier in it. That was more successful and after we had the desired result, copied it to the other sides. However, when we tried to render the scene the texture was blurry, unless that we had picked from the Render Setup→Renderer→NVIDIA mental ray.
Following that, we applied texture at pillars and arches. We had already done that for the ground and the grass, as I mentioned in my previous posts. As for the roofs, we applied different textures for the inside and outside part of them. The outside texture was applied on different plans that we created as new objects from the Command Panel and attach them on the existed roofs.
Also, we created gutters that we placed along the roof. For the gutters, we created cylinders and used the ProBoolean from the Command Panel→Compound Objects.
That was the last detail that we put in the cloister and started experimenting with the lights through Create Panel→Lights. We pick Daylight and gave the geographical directions of the place, and select the year 1500 when the cloister had the form that we tried to create. After that, we took as a start point the centre of the cloister and we put the light up.
The last step for the to complete our model was the placement of cameras for the creation of an animation. So, based on our scenario, and having the specialist on video creation Seamus in the team, we decided to put three cameras, covering both of inside and outsides parts of the cloister as the top view to show the height of it and the audience have the opportunity tο see how was a medieval cloister.
Somewhere here our project is over! This is our final result after many hours of work on 3ds Max. What we have learned as a team from our work on this project was our contact with the software and the acquisition of the basic skills of creating a 3d model in that. 3ds Max proves to be a very important tool for anyone who deals with 3d modelling, whether they come from a theoretical background or a science one. The idea of creating whole buildings, and reconstruct a whole world from the past based on its denominations from a simple box in the Comand Panel on 3ds Max will continue to fascinate me!