One more try to improve the pillars!

Seamus and I tried for one more time to create the pillar during this week. We import the floor plan of the pillar as a Bitmap (Material Editor→pick a new slot→Diffuse→Material/Map Browser→click on the Bitmap→Select Bitmap Image File→select the image→Open the image→PSD Input Options→Ok) need, and create through Line (Command Panel→Splines→Line) an outline, which we converted to Editable Poly and Extruded it from the options in the Command Panel.

We created three copies of that pillar to use them as a base. Following that, we copied them again to create the cap of the pillar, converting them in Editable Poly, and applying them the Cap Hole modifier to fill them. We applied more modifiers on the base and the cap of the pillar to render the effect of the smoothness as it is showed in the pillars at the Abbey such as Chamfer, TurboSmooth and Melt. You can see the very first part of the base of the pillar after the apply of Chamfer modifier in the below picture:

Screen Shot 2017-05-04 at 19.54.38

This is our final…let’s hope… pillar!

Screen Shot 2017-05-04 at 21.43.18

Following that, we saw again the texture of the ground floor and grass of cloister and tried to fix it, rescaling the pictures that we used last time. We did that using the UVW modifier through Modify panel→Modifier ListObject-Space ModifiersUVW Map. This modifier has a coordinate system which is similar to the XYZ coordinate system. To be more specific, the U, V and W axes of a Bitmap correspond to the X, Y and Z axes respectively. So, we decreased the measures in these three axes as the pictures that we used seemed quite big in our plan (see the previous post).

Screen Shot 2017-05-06 at 13.18.01

At this point, I would like to note that we download our texture from the website textures.com

The weekend will be the last days that Seamus and I work on 3ds Max. We hope to successfully complete the cloister! The results will be presented in the next post, until then…more work on 3ds Max!