The roles for the project were divided among team members with Justin modelling the attached cottages while Gavin and me we are responsible for the tower itself. In order to be able to model the interior, we need to convert the 2d plans into 3d polylines. Therefore, I imported .jpg picture into Autocad software to do so. After tracing the lines of the plans and divided into layers in order to be able to import it afterwards in 3dsmax with the layers together, I created blocks of polylines and through PEDIT and BOUNDARY commands I was sure that these blocks were ready to be exported organised and closed (!).
Tracing 2d floor plans (by Dermot O’ Toole, see part I) in Autocad
I had also to rescale the given plans correspondingly to our model measurements. This was done through RESCALE command and by reference to one side of the tower (9.5 m), the plans had this scale afterwards accordingly. The next step was to create solid or surface curves by extruding them. I decided to extrude them by creating surface polylines. Given the fact that even a circle is pieces of lines together this sometimes turns into problems when the edges are too acute and when duplicate lines there are in your drawing. After cleaning my drawing (see some good hints in order to prevent such errors: cadtutor.net/tutorials/3ds-max/prepare-autocad-drawing.php) I was ready to import it into 3dsmax software and merge it with Gavin’s tower skeleton and levels of floors.
Solid creating by extruding polygons that are created by closed polylines.
Surfaces creating by extruding blocks of polylines.
When the above result imported into 3dsmax software they seemed to be as never be rescaled. While our scene was in meters and our units system as well the 3d polylines were miles away. After many attempts to understand what was happened, I decided to rescale the model in 3dsmax in order to suit between floors.
Merging ground and 1st floor within Gavin’s tower skeleton
While the ground and the first floors were merged and were able to be adjusted in Gavin’s model the upper ones when imported seemed to be pieces of segments everywhere in the scene with nothing you can do to fix it. It is what is happened with merging models from one software to another. Rules and processes need to be taken into account before someone try to fix things in a 3d software while the creation was done in a different 2d-based. While Autocad is much better for creating such plans concerns such as overlapping lines, curves and edges that should be smoothed and correct scale is what makes things afterwards to be easier.