Having acquired the plans for Woodstock, we set about trying to figure out how best to adapt these plans for our model. We quickly realised that although the post-fire compensation plans were adequate with regard to informing us on how the house was supposed to look, they only really had one real measurement on them, which was in feet. They were also slightly skewed, so we decided to re-align and scale them in metres in GIMP. We then imported the plans into 3DS Max and used them as functional layers to trace out the walls from an aerial view. Since we had front, rear, and end elevations, we were able to place the plans in such a way that it was possible to lock the plans and trace out the general shapes of the house at will. We did this from an aerial view first to draw out the walls in 3DS Max as separate boxes that we could set the dimensions of. This was important to get right before we actually started editing any of the walls or trying to add things to them.
It was rather tricky to actually get the plans to scale, however once we had got the correct measurements and scaling (200 percent), we were able to draw the walls to real-world scale. We first attempted building the walls in the software’s built in wall-building function, although this function doesn’t allow you to set dimensions or treat the walls as individual walls once they join. Ultimately, we found it easier to create boxes that we could set the dimensions of and put them as different layers. One of the key lessons learned at this stage of the project has been learning how to properly use 3DS Max’s snap and align functions. This made the creation of our walls much simpler in the long run. The next stage of the project has been the creation of roofs, which will be covered in my next post.