This is the final blog in a series documenting John Chambers’ and my modelling of Woodstock House, as part of our Modelling Humanities Data Module. Please go to John’s blog here to see more.
Finishing the Project
After what seems like a lot of trial and error, we are finally finished with rebuilding Woodstock. The project itself took a long time, both in terms of trying to create the model itself, but also the sheer amount of knowledge, experience, and practice required when building a model in 3DS Max. As I explained in my previous post, hindsight is a great thing once you learn how to model a few things in 3DS Max. Taking the time to watch relevant material to try to solve a problem is essential to the process, and if you have enough time to do so and effectively practice before creating anything, I would encourage anyone to do so.
This is part five in a series documenting John Chambers’ and my modelling of Woodstock House, as part of our Modelling Humanities Data Module. Please go to John’s blog here to see more.
Update on the Project
At this point of the project, we have had our fair share of trials and tribulations with 3DS Max. On the one hand, it’s an extremely powerful piece of software that can build incredible things, however I feel that the amount of time it takes to actually produce a working model requires a lot more time and effort than one can assume going into a project such as this. We’ve constantly been mentioning how we could have done things better in hindsight or joking about how quickly we could model certain aspects if we were to do it again. I think we were right too, but this is more to do with actually practicing and making time to watch tutorial after tutorial after tutorial until you get a technique correct. One thing that surprised me is that myself and John might think of two completely different ways to get the same job done in the software, which I think shows the breadth of creativity that the software can afford someone.
This is part four in a series documenting John Chambers’ and my modelling of Woodstock House, as part of our Modelling Humanities Data Module. Please go to John’s blog here to see more.
For all of the time and effort that 3DS Max demands with regard to its steep learning curve, there is one element of the entire construction process that has caused the most problems for us in 3DS Max (as well as the most frustration), which has undoubtedly been the construction of windows. Creating the window frames themselves wasn’t too difficult, we were able to model them by creating small boxes and aligning them to suit the photographs. This was done in much the same way as the roofs and chimneys; we first got the desired dimensions and converted the boxes to editable polys. Following this, we drew and connected vertices before deleting selected polygons as required until we had the correct shapes. It was only a matter then of aligning the boxes into the correct shapes.
This is part three in a series documenting John Chambers’ and my modelling of Woodstock House, as part of our Modelling Humanities Data Module. Please go to John’s blog here to see more.
Issues with Geometry
Now that we had completed our foundations completed on the house, so to speak, we began working on the roofs of the house. This proved more tricky than building the walls, as the walls had only required the building of the general wall shapes and setting the parameters we wanted.
This is part two in a series documenting John Chambers’ and my modelling of Woodstock House, as part of our Modelling Humanities Data Module. Please go to John’s blog here to see more.
Having acquired the plans for Woodstock, we set about trying to figure out how best to adapt these plans for our model. We quickly realised that although the post-fire compensation plans were adequate with regard to informing us on how the house was supposed to look, they only really had one real measurement on them, which was in feet. Continue reading Rebuilding Woodstock – Scaling and Building Walls (AFF-604A)
As part of our Modelling Humanities Data module, we have been tasked with learning to use 3DS Max with the aim of modelling a place or artefact that no longer exists. My classmate John and I decided early on that, being novices with the software, it would be a good idea to work together as a team to complete the assignment as well as learn the basics of the software. Continue reading Rebuilding Woodstock – Choosing A Project (AFF-604A)
This blog post is a continuation of a previous post regarding Data Standardisation, which can be found here.
In my previous post on data standardisation, I explored the ins and outs of linked data and how searching the web can be improved via the implementation of Linked Data concepts and online search resources such as DBpedia. The applications of such constructs are indeed manifold, and the recognition of their usefulness is evidenced in their evolution. Continue reading The Future of the World-Wide-Web (AFF-604A)