This is the final blog in a series documenting John Chambers’ and my modelling of Woodstock House, as part of our Modelling Humanities Data Module. Please go to John’s blog here to see more.
Finishing the Project
After what seems like a lot of trial and error, we are finally finished with rebuilding Woodstock. The project itself took a long time, both in terms of trying to create the model itself, but also the sheer amount of knowledge, experience, and practice required when building a model in 3DS Max. As I explained in my previous post, hindsight is a great thing once you learn how to model a few things in 3DS Max. Taking the time to watch relevant material to try to solve a problem is essential to the process, and if you have enough time to do so and effectively practice before creating anything, I would encourage anyone to do so.
This is part five in a series documenting John Chambers’ and my modelling of Woodstock House, as part of our Modelling Humanities Data Module. Please go to John’s blog here to see more.
Update on the Project
At this point of the project, we have had our fair share of trials and tribulations with 3DS Max. On the one hand, it’s an extremely powerful piece of software that can build incredible things, however I feel that the amount of time it takes to actually produce a working model requires a lot more time and effort than one can assume going into a project such as this. We’ve constantly been mentioning how we could have done things better in hindsight or joking about how quickly we could model certain aspects if we were to do it again. I think we were right too, but this is more to do with actually practicing and making time to watch tutorial after tutorial after tutorial until you get a technique correct. One thing that surprised me is that myself and John might think of two completely different ways to get the same job done in the software, which I think shows the breadth of creativity that the software can afford someone.
This is part three in a series documenting John Chambers’ and my modelling of Woodstock House, as part of our Modelling Humanities Data Module. Please go to John’s blog here to see more.
Issues with Geometry
Now that we had completed our foundations completed on the house, so to speak, we began working on the roofs of the house. This proved more tricky than building the walls, as the walls had only required the building of the general wall shapes and setting the parameters we wanted.
This is part two in a series documenting John Chambers’ and my modelling of Woodstock House, as part of our Modelling Humanities Data Module. Please go to John’s blog here to see more.
Having acquired the plans for Woodstock, we set about trying to figure out how best to adapt these plans for our model. We quickly realised that although the post-fire compensation plans were adequate with regard to informing us on how the house was supposed to look, they only really had one real measurement on them, which was in feet. Continue reading Rebuilding Woodstock – Scaling and Building Walls (AFF-604A)
This blog post is a continuation of a previous post regarding Data Standardisation, which can be found here.
In my previous post on data standardisation, I explored the ins and outs of linked data and how searching the web can be improved via the implementation of Linked Data concepts and online search resources such as DBpedia. The applications of such constructs are indeed manifold, and the recognition of their usefulness is evidenced in their evolution. Continue reading The Future of the World-Wide-Web (AFF-604A)
The pervasiveness of the internet into everyday life is becoming more and more inherent as the looming information takeover grows evermore vast. This is evidenced by the mere task of retrieving data is made possible by having access to almost the entire wealth of human knowledge sitting in your pocket. Having an immense wealth of data means nothing however if there is no way through which a computer can identify, select, or relate any of it. Continue reading Data Standardisation (AFF-604A)