Rebuilding Woodstock – Reflections and the Finished Product!

This is the final blog in a series documenting John Chambers’ and my modelling of Woodstock House, as part of our Modelling Humanities Data Module. Please go to John’s blog here to see more.

Finishing the Project

After what seems like a lot of trial and error, we are finally finished with rebuilding Woodstock. The project itself took a long time, both in terms of trying to create the model itself, but also the sheer amount of knowledge, experience, and practice required when building a model in 3DS Max. As I explained in my previous post, hindsight is a great thing once you learn how to model a few things in 3DS Max. Taking the time to watch relevant material to try to solve a problem is essential to the process, and if you have enough time to do so and effectively practice before creating anything, I would encourage anyone to do so.

Continue reading Rebuilding Woodstock – Reflections and the Finished Product!

Rebuilding Woodstock – The Trouble with Windows (AFF-604A)

This is part four in a series documenting John Chambers’ and my modelling of Woodstock House, as part of our Modelling Humanities Data Module. Please go to John’s blog here to see more.

For all of the time and effort that 3DS Max demands with regard to its steep learning curve, there is one element of the entire construction process that has caused the most problems for us in 3DS Max (as well as the most frustration), which has undoubtedly been the construction of windows. Creating the window frames themselves wasn’t too difficult, we were able to model them by creating small boxes and aligning them to suit the photographs. This was done in much the same way as the roofs and chimneys; we first got the desired dimensions and converted the boxes to editable polys. Following this, we drew and connected vertices before deleting selected polygons as required until we had the correct shapes. It was only a matter then of aligning the boxes into the correct shapes.

Continue reading Rebuilding Woodstock – The Trouble with Windows (AFF-604A)

Rebuilding Woodstock – Creating the Roofs and Chimneys (AFF-604A)

This is part three in a series documenting John Chambers’ and my modelling of Woodstock House, as part of our Modelling Humanities Data Module. Please go to John’s blog here to see more.

Issues with Geometry

Now that we had completed our foundations completed on the house, so to speak, we began working on the roofs of the house. This proved more tricky than building the walls, as the walls had only required the building of the general wall shapes and setting the parameters we wanted.

Creating layers in 3DS Max becomes more and more essential to the process.
Creating layers in 3DS Max becomes more and more essential to the process.

Continue reading Rebuilding Woodstock – Creating the Roofs and Chimneys (AFF-604A)

Rebuilding Woodstock – Choosing A Project (AFF-604A)

woodstock4

The Project

As part of our Modelling Humanities Data module, we have been tasked with learning to use 3DS Max with the aim of modelling a place or artefact that no longer exists. My classmate John and I decided early on that, being novices with the software, it would be a good idea to work together as a team to complete the assignment as well as learn the basics of the software. Continue reading Rebuilding Woodstock – Choosing A Project (AFF-604A)