Sonia Jędrysiak

Exploring the possibilities of the Digital Humanities

Month: April 2017 (Page 1 of 2)

3D Project: Part Six

  After working on the materials using textures from textures.com, I’ve decided to try fixing the roof. Initially, wanting to represent the shingles as best as possible, I’ve decided to shape them out of box shape, copy the geometry and place it, so that it imitates the roof of the Haltdalen church (the shingles on the high crosses have similar shape). As seen above, it did, somewhat, work. However, I was curious to see if we can get better, more realistic effect.

I’ve managed to find a texture with similar enough shape and decided to delete all the geometric shingles and apply the texture to a plain ‘original’ geometry. Of course, like with everything else, it couldn’t be as easy. The first attempts to match bumps and diffusion of the bitmap gave some… peculiar results. It was also frustrating to make sure that the texture points the same way on each side of the roof. It took good few tries using both the UV Map modifier and the rotating tool in the material menu, but eventually, I’ve got satisfying result.

read more

3D Project: Part Five

Today was a day of experimenting with the materials. It is the day during which for the first time I’ve felt like I’ve finally got a hang of 3ds Max after turning my lego-like pillar into wooden pillar. How naive I was to think it will all go smoothly from then on…The first pillar looked great, but somehow, when I applied the same material to other pillars, the end-result changed.     The first pillar still had its perfect bumps, will all the others looked more thorny. Messing with UV Map modifier helped a bit, but it still gave different result than during the first trial with one pillar. The same values of bitmap bump and diffusion showed different results in rendering and the small victory turned into another bitter defeat.

read more

3D Project: Part Four

Made progress, albeit painfully, with the roof ornament. I’ve managed to add extra vertexes and edges to the front of the object initially created with a line and extruded. It was quite time consuming and frustrating at times. First, I’ve connected all the vertexes together creating horizontal edges. Once that was done, I’ve connected the edges together creating vertical edge – and divided it into sub-sections. Once that was done, I’ve selected the outside rim and extruded. Initially, I’ve planned to extrude sphere-like shapes from the original geometry, but as I was trying to do so, I’ve realized that there is a simpler way to do it. Instead of extruding and trying to smooth the shapes, I’ve created number of spheres that I’ve incorporated into the original geography. All of the above was done on one half of the ornament – once I was happy with the result, I’ve mirrored it and connected the two parts into a heart-shaped ornament.

read more

3D Project: Part Three

With the basic geometry ready, it was time to look into some of the details. I’ve decided to start working on the roof. The most distinct feature of Irish timber churches is the ornament placed on each side of the building at the highest point of the roof, at the joint of two side planks. I’ve started by creating a line that copied the shape of the ornament – the plan was to extrude it and mirror the other half of the piece. Simple in practice, it took few tries and I’ve hit a wall when I was unable to create additional vertexes and edges on the front-facing polygon of the object. Frustrated by lack of progress – and weird abominations of geometry that happened in the process – I’ve decided to move on and try to work on the shingles.

read more

3D Project: Part Two

With Ethan experimenting with various timber materials, I’ve decided to create a rough geometry of the church and start messing with different parts of it. Using the floor plan of Haltdalen church as a reference for the measurements, I’ve built all the walls and the side pillars. The roof is based on the images of high cross and the crossed planks on both ends of the roof will be modeled into the ornaments seen at the top of stone churches (Kilmalkedar).

Such plan seemed easy enough in theory. In practice, I believe that the measurements need to be re-adjusted, since the front of the church (door) looks bit unrealistic. I also had trouble in thinking how to design the arch topping the entry and finally – how to shape the side roof planks into slightly rounded X.

read more

Page 1 of 2

Powered by WordPress & Theme by Anders Norén