With the basic geometry ready, it was time to look into some of the details. I’ve decided to start working on the roof. The most distinct feature of Irish timber churches is the ornament placed on each side of the building at the highest point of the roof, at the joint of two side planks. I’ve started by creating a line that copied the shape of the ornament – the plan was to extrude it and mirror the other half of the piece. Simple in practice, it took few tries and I’ve hit a wall when I was unable to create additional vertexes and edges on the front-facing polygon of the object. Frustrated by lack of progress – and weird abominations of geometry that happened in the process – I’ve decided to move on and try to work on the shingles.

The shape of shingles is similar both on the stone high crosses we’re using as a reference and Haltdalen church. After creating the first shingle, I’ve copied it into overlapping rows. The idea is to apply the material to each of them and make it look more natural rather than applying the material to plain triangle geometry. That being said, the model might be too heavy, so it’s an option in testing. The final amount of shingles is quite impressive, so it will significantly slow down the rendering.

As a final touch I’ve added the topping planks to cover up the top joins and give it a cleaner look.