Sonia Jędrysiak

Exploring the possibilities of the Digital Humanities

Category: 3D Project (Page 1 of 2)

3D Project: Part Ten

Today was devoted to fixing up and cataloguing all the materials that I’ve made. And boy did it take up some time, especially since every single object needed its own UVW Map modifier that was adjusted manually. The good side of this rather tedious job was the fact that I could position the textures differently which gives an impression that the wooden planks vary.

 

Of course things weren’t as smooth as anticipated and when I’ve moved to making the walls material (above), 3ds Max first crashed – and then wouldn’t render the material. But after changing it from standard material to Autodesk hardwood material, rendering magically started working again. Couldn’t complain after such turn of events!

read more

3D Project: Part Nine

Today is the day of tackling all the documents accompanying the project. Including rather confusing metadata.

First, I’ve focused on writing clear description of layers. There are three main layers: ‘Lights-natural’, ‘Roof’ and ‘Walls’. The ‘Lights-natural’ layer contains all the features that create the daylight effect in the scene. Since our model is and outdoor model, we didn’t want to add any artificial lights, so that concludes this layer.

‘Roof’ layer contains five sub-layers and object constructing the main geometry of the roof. Two sub-layers were created to contain the geometry creating two side walls on the roof(‘Roof Front Wall’, ‘Roof Back Wall’). ‘Shingles’ is a layer that will be kept invisible, since it contains our first attempt at building the roof where we tried to create each shingle as a separate geometry. ‘Plank’ and ‘Ornament’ are the final sub-layers which contain geometry creating the finishing touches of the roof architecture, including the characteristic roof topper shaped like a heart/horseshoe.

read more

3D Project: Part Eight

The misery continues. Since both myself and Ethan work on the same project, we can’t work on the main scene at the same time. Ethan has been finishing the planks on all the walls, so not to waste too much time, I’ve decided to try and make the little ornaments at the top of the pillars on two sides of the door.

The easiest way would be to draw up the shape, but sadly nothing is easy with 3ds Max. I’ve decided to create a box and boolean out a cone to create the four tips. Seemed like an easy enough idea. I’ve started deforming the geometry and trying to re-create the shape of the ornament. It was not an easy job…

read more

3D Project: Part Seven

At this stage I shouldn’t be surprised that executing simple ideas starts off easy and then in mysterious way gets very problematic. I’m starting to suspect extreme talent on my part.

Reference: Door of the Haltdalen church

Door. It can’t be hard to make door, right? With Ethan working on the side walls of the church, I’ve created a separate scene and started building the geometry. Simple box, with good few segments that will allow creating the arch at the top, which in turn will get slightly extruded. Initially I’ve extruded all sides of the box, but then decided to settle for just the top section, since I had the side pillars built in the main project already.

read more

3D Project: Part Six

  After working on the materials using textures from textures.com, I’ve decided to try fixing the roof. Initially, wanting to represent the shingles as best as possible, I’ve decided to shape them out of box shape, copy the geometry and place it, so that it imitates the roof of the Haltdalen church (the shingles on the high crosses have similar shape). As seen above, it did, somewhat, work. However, I was curious to see if we can get better, more realistic effect.

I’ve managed to find a texture with similar enough shape and decided to delete all the geometric shingles and apply the texture to a plain ‘original’ geometry. Of course, like with everything else, it couldn’t be as easy. The first attempts to match bumps and diffusion of the bitmap gave some… peculiar results. It was also frustrating to make sure that the texture points the same way on each side of the roof. It took good few tries using both the UV Map modifier and the rotating tool in the material menu, but eventually, I’ve got satisfying result.

read more

Page 1 of 2

Powered by WordPress & Theme by Anders Norén