Made progress, albeit painfully, with the roof ornament. I’ve managed to add extra vertexes and edges to the front of the object initially created with a line and extruded. It was quite time consuming and frustrating at times. First, I’ve connected all the vertexes together creating horizontal edges. Once that was done, I’ve connected the edges together creating vertical edge – and divided it into sub-sections. Once that was done, I’ve selected the outside rim and extruded. Initially, I’ve planned to extrude sphere-like shapes from the original geometry, but as I was trying to do so, I’ve realized that there is a simpler way to do it. Instead of extruding and trying to smooth the shapes, I’ve created number of spheres that I’ve incorporated into the original geography. All of the above was done on one half of the ornament – once I was happy with the result, I’ve mirrored it and connected the two parts into a heart-shaped ornament.
Tag: digital heritage (Page 2 of 3)
With Ethan experimenting with various timber materials, I’ve decided to create a rough geometry of the church and start messing with different parts of it. Using the floor plan of Haltdalen church as a reference for the measurements, I’ve built all the walls and the side pillars. The roof is based on the images of high cross and the crossed planks on both ends of the roof will be modeled into the ornaments seen at the top of stone churches (Kilmalkedar).
Such plan seemed easy enough in theory. In practice, I believe that the measurements need to be re-adjusted, since the front of the church (door) looks bit unrealistic. I also had trouble in thinking how to design the arch topping the entry and finally – how to shape the side roof planks into slightly rounded X.
For our 3D modelling project, myself and Ethan decided to make a model of a 7th century timber church. Since there are no wooden Irish churches surviving from this period, we’ve decided to create a ‘theoretical’ model, based on secondary sources, annalistic descriptions, ornamented shrines, high crosses (especially Muireadach’s Cross)
, Irish stone churches build around the same period and wooden churches of similar kind preserved in other countries. We’ve decided that the best context for such experimental project would be that of a museum exhibition, which would ultimately aim at providing better understanding of how such constructions might have looked like.
As part of my MA in Digital Humanities, I’m doing a Practicum with National Museum of Ireland – Archaeology. The project has three deliverables: digitisation of at least 6 objects chosen by the Museum supervisor, desk research into current digitization practices in other European Museums and finally, writing a ‘step-by-step’ white paper that would help the Museum staff undertake the digitization themselves and possibly, include it in the future standard practices of objects acquisition. The objectives are clear and achievable in the 3,5 months time frame given for the project. What I’m most excited about is the opportunity to have a glimpse into the behind-the-scenes side of the museum and learning how to work on a project like this – celebrating little victories and tackling the obstacles as they come along. Structure from motion technique can be a very rewarding method when done right.