Sonia Jędrysiak

Exploring the possibilities of the Digital Humanities

Tag: digital humanities (Page 1 of 2)

3D Project: Part Ten

Today was devoted to fixing up and cataloguing all the materials that I’ve made. And boy did it take up some time, especially since every single object needed its own UVW Map modifier that was adjusted manually. The good side of this rather tedious job was the fact that I could position the textures differently which gives an impression that the wooden planks vary.

 

Of course things weren’t as smooth as anticipated and when I’ve moved to making the walls material (above), 3ds Max first crashed – and then wouldn’t render the material. But after changing it from standard material to Autodesk hardwood material, rendering magically started working again. Couldn’t complain after such turn of events!

read more

3D Project: Part Nine

Today is the day of tackling all the documents accompanying the project. Including rather confusing metadata.

First, I’ve focused on writing clear description of layers. There are three main layers: ‘Lights-natural’, ‘Roof’ and ‘Walls’. The ‘Lights-natural’ layer contains all the features that create the daylight effect in the scene. Since our model is and outdoor model, we didn’t want to add any artificial lights, so that concludes this layer.

‘Roof’ layer contains five sub-layers and object constructing the main geometry of the roof. Two sub-layers were created to contain the geometry creating two side walls on the roof(‘Roof Front Wall’, ‘Roof Back Wall’). ‘Shingles’ is a layer that will be kept invisible, since it contains our first attempt at building the roof where we tried to create each shingle as a separate geometry. ‘Plank’ and ‘Ornament’ are the final sub-layers which contain geometry creating the finishing touches of the roof architecture, including the characteristic roof topper shaped like a heart/horseshoe.

read more

3D Project: Part Seven

At this stage I shouldn’t be surprised that executing simple ideas starts off easy and then in mysterious way gets very problematic. I’m starting to suspect extreme talent on my part.

Reference: Door of the Haltdalen church

Door. It can’t be hard to make door, right? With Ethan working on the side walls of the church, I’ve created a separate scene and started building the geometry. Simple box, with good few segments that will allow creating the arch at the top, which in turn will get slightly extruded. Initially I’ve extruded all sides of the box, but then decided to settle for just the top section, since I had the side pillars built in the main project already.

read more

3D Project: Part Five

Today was a day of experimenting with the materials. It is the day during which for the first time I’ve felt like I’ve finally got a hang of 3ds Max after turning my lego-like pillar into wooden pillar. How naive I was to think it will all go smoothly from then on…The first pillar looked great, but somehow, when I applied the same material to other pillars, the end-result changed.     The first pillar still had its perfect bumps, will all the others looked more thorny. Messing with UV Map modifier helped a bit, but it still gave different result than during the first trial with one pillar. The same values of bitmap bump and diffusion showed different results in rendering and the small victory turned into another bitter defeat.

read more

3D Project: Part Three

With the basic geometry ready, it was time to look into some of the details. I’ve decided to start working on the roof. The most distinct feature of Irish timber churches is the ornament placed on each side of the building at the highest point of the roof, at the joint of two side planks. I’ve started by creating a line that copied the shape of the ornament – the plan was to extrude it and mirror the other half of the piece. Simple in practice, it took few tries and I’ve hit a wall when I was unable to create additional vertexes and edges on the front-facing polygon of the object. Frustrated by lack of progress – and weird abominations of geometry that happened in the process – I’ve decided to move on and try to work on the shingles.

read more

Page 1 of 2

Powered by WordPress & Theme by Anders Norén